Over 85 years ago, Progressive Auto Insurance began offering car insurance services. It is a very reputable business, and its brand is well-known all over the globe. The business takes great pleasure in offering a variety of insurance products, competitive rates, and customer-friendly policies.
History of Progressive
Progressive auto insurance was founded in 1937 by Joseph Lewis and Jack Green, two lawyers from Ohio. The business began by providing local Ohio residents with car insurance. The business developed its services over time and established itself as a household name.
Progressive launched “Immediate Response Claims Service,” a special service, in the 1980s. Customers could use this service to submit claims round-the-clock, and the business would send out an adjuster right away to evaluate the harm. This service revolutionized the insurance sector and made Progressive a name for itself as a client-focused insurer.
Usage-based insurance was first introduced by Progressive in the 1990s. Customers were able to pay for insurance using this service depending on how much they drove. This additional ground-breaking offering allowed Progressive to differentiate itself from its rivals.
Types of Coverage
Most states mandate liability coverage, which covers harm to property and injuries to third parties brought on by auto accidents. Damage to vehicles, property, and other persons is covered, as are medical expenses and court costs.
Comprehensive and Collision Coverage
Regardless of who was at fault for the accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay for the repairs or replacement of a vehicle if the insured is involved. However, these are two distinct insurance types. Comprehensive insurance protects against uncontrollable occurrences like hitting a deer or having a tree branch fall on a vehicle. Accidents involving other cars or inanimate items, like a fender bender or collision with a pole, are covered by collision insurance.
A deductible is associated with comprehensive insurance, which also provides coverage for losses brought on by fire, robbery, vandalism, and other calamities.
Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage
Accidents caused by drivers who lack insurance coverage or have inadequate coverage are covered by uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance. Uninsured motorist coverage protects a policyholder who is struck by a driver who has no car insurance at all. When someone hits an insured person but doesn’t have enough insurance to cover the damages or accidents they cause, the insured is protected by underinsured coverage. In many states, uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance are both provided side by side.
If you want additional piece of mind while driving, consider purchasing Progressive’s Roadside Assistance, which offers a variety of 24/7 services to assist in an emergency. It is offered by Agero, which provides the kind of driver assistance services that insurance firms frequently use. It addresses a variety of issues and accidents.
- Vehicle towing: It offers a transport to a place within a 15-mile radius.
- Winching: Within 100 feet of the road or freeway, it will extricate the insured’s vehicle from mud, snow, water, or sand.
- Battery jump-start: If the battery fails, it will jump-start your vehicle.
- Battery charge on electric cars: A tow to the closest recharge station or to any other place within a 15-mile radius will be offered and paid for.
- Fuel delivery: Although there are fuel charges, it offers free fuel transportation and assistance.
- Locksmith service: In the event that your keys are misplaced, taken, or left in the car, it offers assistance.
- Flat tire change: It provides free tire replacement services, but if your car doesn’t have a spare, you’ll have to pay for one.
- On-scene labor: If the vehicle isn’t running, it can work for up to an hour.
Other Types of Coverage
Additional Progressive auto insurance options are also provided.
- Rental car reimbursement: In the event of a covered accident, this insurance provides up to the policy limit—typically $40–$60 per day—for a rental car.
- Medical payments: Regardless of who is at blame, this covers all associated funeral and medical costs for passengers and family members.
- Loan/lease payoff: This also referred to as “gap insurance,” pays the difference, up to 25% of the car’s cash value, between a loan or lease amount and the vehicle’s current value.
- Rideshare coverage: When you drive for a rideshare business, this coverage aids in filling the insurance gap.
- Custom parts and equipment value insurance: This can apply to accessories for cars like music or navigation systems, custom wheels, or repainted exteriors.
Pros and Cons of Progressive Auto Insurance
- Various policy discounts: There are a total of 13 discounts provided by Progressive, ranging from choices based on driver or loyalty.
- Lower-than-average customer complaints: Progressive received a 2022 complaint number from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) of 1.31, which is higher than the national average of 1.0.
- Customer service is offered 24/7/365: Progressive provides customer care support around-the-clock, every day of the week, all year long.
- Depending on your purchase method, prices could be higher: Prices for the same insurance can vary based on the customer’s method of purchase due to online discounts and other costs.
- The cost of the policies may be higher than average: Depending on where you reside, Progressive might cost more for auto insurance than its rivals.
- Competitors receive higher customer satisfaction ratings: According to J.D. Power’s 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, Texas was the only state or area where Progressive ranked among the top three insurance providers in terms of customer satisfaction.
Email, online chat, and phone assistance are all available from Progressive’s customer service department at 1-888-671-4405. Through the Progressive website, customers can send emails with questions about their claim, the claim procedure, roadside assistance, and fraud/identity theft.
Overall, Progressive auto insurance is a highly reputable company that offers competitive rates, customer-friendly policies, and a wide range of insurance coverages. The 24/7 claims service are one of its biggest selling points. While the company’s coverage options can be limited in some states, its strengths outweigh its weaknesses. If you’re in the market for auto insurance, Progressive is definitely worth considering.